Carcoforo is a Walser colony "daughter" of Alagna and gently stretches out on the ample flood plain (1305 m) of the Egua valley
The agro-pastural village today is a touristic attraction made famous by the preservation of it's natural anthropic landscape. There are numerous agricultural family businesses that are still active in the community who take advantage of the mountain pastures of the Egua valley in the summer season. A closely woven network of mule tracks and hiking trails, links the mountain pastures and rest stops with comfortable and efficient trails.
Thanks to the correct combination between natural landscape conservation, sustainable tourism and the conservation of community identity, Carcoforo was awarded the Ideal Village prize in 1991 by the magazine Airone, in the section dedicated to mountain communities.
The parish church dedicated to Santa Croce, stands out in the village centre. Inside there is a magnificent via crucis ( the Way of the Cross) by Peracino and an organ with wooden casing and polychrome decorations by the organ-maker Bartolomeo Gippa. Not far from here is the Buona Accoglienza Arch (Welcome Arch), erected by the inhabitants of Carcoforo in 1734 to mark the point in which the Egua valley trail enters the village.
Of particular interest, is the oratory of Madonna del Gabbio, that, as the legend is told, was built by some shepherds on the spot where the bag in which the statue was carried, became so heavy that it could not be moved anymore.
Visit the site of the municipality of Carcoforo: https://www.comune.carcoforo.vc.it/it-it/home